From the Executive Director, Elijah Scott
I'm surprised to find that I'm already writing an update for May. This year is passing all too swiftly! I'm sure that many of you are enjoying a brief bit of downtime between semesters. At FALSC, we're working on several major projects right now, including updating Aleph to version 23 and migrating several institutions to Mango.
FALSC staff are on the move this month! FALSC staff are participating in the Ex Libris Users of North America (ELUNA) Conference in Spokane, WA; the Members Council on Library Services (MCLS) meeting in Orlando, FL; the GIL Users Group Meeting (GUGM) in Athens, GA, and the annual Florida Library Association (FLA) Conference in Orlando, FL.
The MCLS meeting took place on May 15 and 16 at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. This meeting was the first opportunity for our new FALSC directors (Rebel Cummings-Sauls, Rachel Erb, and Brian Erb) to introduce themselves to the full council and to talk about their visions for their respective areas of the organization. Other topics for discussion included an update on patron privacy procedures for patron data in Aleph; a demo from EBSCO on a DRM-free platform; a demo from Lyrasis on ArchivesSpace; and a review and vote on a revised ITN and approval process. For more information on past and future Member Council meetings, visit the FALSC website.
Our staff looks forward to connecting with library partners from across the state at the annual Florida Library Association Conference in Orlando. During the conference, our staff will host a FALSC Forum and have an information table with details on the latest FALSC projects. For more information on the FLA Conference, see the conference web page.
The American educator Henry Van Dyke noted, "I'm only wishing to go a-fishing; For this the month of May was made." Fishing is one of the best sports offered by our state, so I hope that, if fishing is your thing, you'll find plenty of time this May to enjoy it.
– ELIJAH SCOTT, Executive Director, Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative
Governance and Advisory Processes
MCLS Quarterly Meeting – May 15-16
The Members Council on Library Services (MCLS) met May 15-16, 2018, at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL.
The Executive Committee of the MCLS met most recently April 18 and will meet again on June 20.
Other Library Projects
The Collections Management and E-Resources Standing Committee shared a recommendation on the 2019 collection of statewide resources to the Members Council at the December meeting. On the FCS side, the committee was split between a recommendation to cut one of two newspaper products, and the committee requested discussion by the FCS MCLS representatives. As a result, a poll was conducted, asking which of the two products should be retained for 2019. The results of the poll were almost evenly split, indicating that the entire group has the same difficulty as the committee. On the SUS side, the committee had just approved the last minute addition of NexisUni to the statewide collection, and had not yet reviewed the options for 2019. The CMESC continues to explore options, and will provide a revised 2019 recommendation soon.
FALSC is wrapping up the last of our statewide and group licensing agreements for 2018. We added five new vendor license agreements through our group licensing process this year, and we updated a number of the statewide agreements. We are still working with participating institutions on the agreements for SciFinder, SAGE, and Oxford for 2018, and hope to have those completed in the next couple of weeks.
Centralized Data Loads, Extracts, and Reports
SUS Aleph record counts for February are complete. February monthly FCS reports have been released.
Ad hoc reports for various institutions were prepared on:
- Report of group study room use
- Report of items loaned for the past 2 years
- Report of “lost” items
- Report of “juvenile” materials in a collection
- Report of circulation in specific collections since July 1, 2017
- Shelf list reports for several collections
- Report of study carrel keys returned
- Report of ebooks in nursing
Recent data loading projects include:
- Set up new PDA plan for SWANK for FSU
- Created/approved genload profiles for Open Textbooks Network for USF; Practicing Law Institute for FSU-Law; IGI Ebook records for FIU; Taylor and Francis for FAMU; revised profiles for Wiley, IEEE, Elsevier and EBSCO for FAMU
- Serial Solution bibliographic records updates applied through April for FAMU
- EBSCO serial bibliographic records updates applied through April for FGCU and FSU
- MARCIT! bibliographic record updates applied through April for USF
- Quarterly vendor statistics reports released for FCS
- LC Authority loads complete through 1815
- Marcive GPO for April loaded
- Began work with ProQuest to modify older e-book links from Ebrary and Coutts to new EBC format.
The following EZProxy database definitions have been added/updated:
- Gale Infotrac for all colleges
- Cochrane Library for several colleges
- Elsevier Science Direct for Northwest Florida State College
- National Council of Teachers of English for Seminole State College
- Kanopy for Palm Beach
- Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association for Pensacola State College
Around the Libraries
If you have any news that you would like to share in this newsletter and on our website, email us!
The MCLS Executive Committee Conference Call Meeting will take place on June 20.
The Members Council on Library Services will meet:
- Sept. 11-12 at State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota
- Dec. 6-7 at the Tallahassee offices of the Florida Virtual Campus (FLVC) and FALSC
See Previous Updates
College Library Reports
University Library Reports
Aleph Integrated Library System
Aleph Clients and Permissions
Members Council on Library Services
Library Services Wiki
Library Services Guidelines
Statewide Union Catalog
Check System Status
Find Your Public Static IP address